oncontextmenu="returnfalse" ondragstart="returnfalse" onselectstart="returnfalse">>>> Bri Runde: A Couple Green Recipes

Monday, March 17, 2014

A Couple Green Recipes

How was your weekend? Ours was pretty marvelous! We had our normal Friday night movie night, a relaxing Saturday, and yesterday involved some meal prep on my part while My Hunter took the girls out to enjoy the gorgeous 60 degree weather we were having.

In honor of St. Pat's Day today, I thought I would share a couple of green recipes with all of you; both involve avocado.

The first one is our guacamole recipe. I didn't have it added in when I took this picture, but we threw in some of my mom's homemade salsa with and it makes it that much better! Try it!
Guacamole Dip
Ingredients:
2 ripe Avocados, peeled and pitted (I ended up using 5 avocados and just added more of everything else.)
Juice of 1 Lime
1/4 Cup minced Red Onion (Probably my favorite ingredient, and to think I was going to leave it out! I am famous for that, if I don't have something, I am kinda like, uh, oh well, it'll be fine w/o it! Drives MH NUTS!)
2 Tablespoons minced Cilantro 
1 small clove Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt or 1/2 teaspoon Table Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 Tablespoon minced JalapeƱo 
Directions:
Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Remove the avocado from the skin by scooping it out with a spoon. Place the avocado in a bowl and mash it gently with a fork. Mix in the remaining ingredients.
Serve immediately. The recipe also says you can cover and chill for up to 3 hours, but I would just leave everything prepared and put it together in the last minute.
Makes 3-4 servings, but it will go so fast you should double it!. 

This second recipe is for all you egg salad lovers. Adding avocado to it not only has some health benefits, but it makes it that much tastier!
Avocado Egg Salad 
*adapted from Skinnytaste

Ingredients:
  • 8 large hard-boiled eggs (You will use 4 whole and then 4 of the whites only.)
  • 1 medium avocado
  • 1 tbsp light mayo
  • 1 tbsp Greek yogurt (You can use plain, and that's actually what her recipe called for, but we only had greek here, so I used it.)
  • Celery 
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • dash of pepper (We love pepper, so I put more on.)
Directions:
  1. Chop up your 4 eggs and 4 egg whites.
  2. Cut your avocado into small pieces.
  3. Slice up your celery stalks.
  4. Combine all ingredients. Add more salt and pepper as needed. 
Serves: 6
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Calories: ~155 

I would love to hear if you try these out! Hope your St. Patrick's Day is filled with luck and lots of Irish blessings! Have a marvelous Monday!
Thanks, Katie, for the link-up!

1 comment:

  1. The blog is looking great!!! Caughting up on your posts since I was out of town most of the month! Really looking forward to the challenge your a great leader... Must be one of your spiritual gifts!! Also reminds me I should get back on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete