oncontextmenu="returnfalse" ondragstart="returnfalse" onselectstart="returnfalse">>>> Bri Runde: Black Bean Soup

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Black Bean Soup

Last week one of my girlfriends loaned me her American Diabetes Association Cookbook so that I could pick through it and try out some new recipes with our family. Like I said yesterday, I sat down Friday evening and flipped through it making a plan for our week.

I was totally not expecting the kids to love or even like this first meal I chose. In fact, I thought I would hear much whining and complaining, especially from Little Man who seems to be exercising his independence with food lately. However, I was wrong! The kids devoured this and even asked for seconds, and in my oldest's case, thirds! 

We'll see how things go tonight with the pumpkin pasta that is on the menu. I told My Hunter that was on the plan and he didn't seem the least bit thrilled. I have to admit, I am wondering myself how it will taste. I am not much of a pumpkin fan, unless it's in a dessert. ;)

Anyway, I wanted to share last night's recipe with all of you, and of course, I have to save it here for myself since it was such a hit with everyone here.

Makes: 10 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 lb 95% fat-free turkey kielbasa, chopped {I subbed this for venison, because it's what we have here, but I am sure the kielbasa was delicious. I will definitely be trying it in there next time.}
  • 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
  • 2 medium celery stalks, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes {I chopped up fresh tomatoes instead.}
  • 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp dried oregano 
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 tsp salt {optional}
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro


DIRECTIONS:
  1. Add oil to a large soup pot over high heat. Add kielbasa {or whatever lean meat you choose} and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until beginning to brown.
  2. Stir in onions, celery, and garlic. Saute an additional 5 minutes or until onions turn clear.
  3. Stir in remaining ingredients except cilantro and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. 
  4. Remove bay leaf and stir in cilantro.
Optional Additions: Serve a dollop of fat-free sour cream and a sprig of fresh cilantro on each serving of soup. Add a dinner roll or cheese muffin to make the meal even better. :-)

Enjoy! As always let me know if you give it a try!

2 comments: